Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

Monday August 26

Maybe I'm overdoing it with the snap beans.  Last week I picked over 4 pounds of beans.  The Kentucky Wonder pole beans finally starting producing steadily, and the patch of Roma II bush beans hit their peak production last week.  It's a relief that they have slowed down.  I froze most of them and made a pot of beef stew with Kentucky Wonder beans, which hold up well to extended cooking.  I've harvested more beans - almost 17 pounds - than tomatoes so far.

Here's some of what was picked last week.  This picking is mostly Kentucky Wonder beans: 

Roma II beans, okra, cucumber and a bullhorn pepper:

And the potato harvest, discussed in the previous post.  The potatoes are Kennebecs and Red Pontiacs.

This hornworm is covered with eggs from a parasitic wasp.  Now that it's paralyzed I'll leave it alone so it can hatch out many more wasps.  They find the caterpillars before I do.

Tally for the week:  snap beans 4 lb 3 oz, pepper 6 oz, cucumber 13 oz, celery 6 oz, potatoes 45 lb 9 oz.   Weekly total 52.3 pounds, for the year 189.9 pounds.  This week the garden surpassed the total harvest for 2012. 

3 comments:

Stoney Acres said...

Everything is looking great!! We love green beans. Ours are just coming on, but we just have a small patch this year so we will be lucky to get 5 pounds. Great job on exceeding last years totals!!

Unknown said...

Very nice harvest. Beans are my favorite and I can't ever have enough. I pressure can mine and like having a lot of jars in storage. They are my goto vegetable when I want to prepare a meal quickly.

David Velten said...

That's an impressive harvest of beans. Right now they are my most reliable producer and relatively trouble free. I haven't grown the wide beans like Kentucky Wonder and Roma because you get too much poundage per inch. I'm buried as it is.

Post a Comment