Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Summer crops

Finally it's time to get something other than cole crops out of the beds.  (This is a late post - I wanted to get this out on Monday but couldn't do it, but I'm going to post it anyway).  First there was a picking of beets and onions.  The onions are the first of the Red Long of Tropea, which can be harvested through the summer.  I grew a few rows to keep me supplied until the red storage onions are ready.

Since there was a small head of Gonzalez cabbage in the refrigerator and dill in the garden I tried making Borscht. It came out pretty well, if I do say.  I like it better cold than warm. 

The Provider beans are coming on.  Once again I'm impressed with how excellent this heirloom bean is.  I picked nearly 2 lbs in several pickings. 

That's not all.  There's pickling cucumbers, over 2 pounds of Calypso, nice plump cukes.  This is the first year I've grown a pickling cucumber.  

I tried one of them fresh and they aren't very good, too dry.  I made two quarts of refrigerator pickles with them and what a change, they are delicious after a few days in the pickling juices.  I'm guessing that all pickling cukes are like this, not meant to be eaten raw.

Nearly 30 pounds for the year so far.  It's a good start.

3 comments:

Eight Gate Farm NH said...

Nice post, Mike. Wow-11lbs. lettuce seems like a lot! I love to eat pickling cucumbers fresh; I like the crunch. Sometimes better to peel them first. Frequently I marinate them for an hour or so in soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil for a delicious appetizer.

Mark Willis said...

It's a satisfying feeling when the crops start rolling in, isn't it? I am not keen on pickled cucumbers, so I grow the so-called "Cocktail cucumbers" for eating raw. My favourite is "Iznik F1".

Lynda said...

I'm always encouraged by your garden photos! Because of our continuing drought here in CA I cut way back on my garden and focused on my new fruit orchard. I have plenty of fresh veggies...just no overage to share or can...thank goodness for Farmers Markets! Keep posting your wonderful pictures...I love them.

Post a Comment