Pages

Monday, September 8, 2014

Monday September 8

Good news, for me anyway, the green beans are back from vacation.  I guess it was the string of sunless days that did it, they just stopped producing. On Saturday I picked a small mess of Fortex beans along with a few Romas.  It looks like many more are on the way.  No they won't be producing like they did in July and August, but I'll get more for eating and probably extra to freeze.  Yes green beans are the one vegetable I can eat nearly every day.

I'm getting a little more okra now, but still not nearly as much as last year.  There was enough to make a quart of refrigerator pickles, with some Serrano peppers thrown in.  These are Silver Queen and Millionaire.

These Honeybear Acorn squash are from the plant that did not succumb to the borer.  None of them darkened like this cultivar normally does, but I believe they are fully ripe since they set in June.

It's chili pepper time.  I picked these this morning, a little over two pounds.  From left to right they are Holy Mole, Joe Parker New Mexico, and San Luis Ancho the last two from Renee's seeds.  I tried this Ancho last week and it is surprisingly hot, much hotter than the anchos I grew last year..  The peppers were put on a screen to dry in the sun today,  then this evening I'll put them on the dehydrator to finish.  With oregano and toasted cumin seeds they will make a batch of chili powder.

I'll say right here that in my opinion the Ancho is the finest pepper in all creation.

The two Teksukabotu squash are still growing and flowering.  They make huge flowers.  At this point I remove any new squash that form.  I like to leave them flower first because they provide a real banquet for the bees.  I recently saw one flower with 4 bumblebees in it.  They seem to get drunk in there, or just very sated.  There are 3 bees in this one.

For the week 8.4 pounds, and 235 pounds for the year.  Tomatoes and cucumbers are nearly finished, but the bulk of the winter squash, sweet potatoes and parsnip are yet to be harvested.  There's a good chance to exceed 300 pounds for the first time this year.

5 comments:

Eight Gate Farm NH said...

Hooray for more beans! I can't imagine not having tons in the freezer. Please expand on your praise for Ancho. What makes them special?

gardenvariety-hoosier said...

Eight Gate - a green Ancho is what makes Chili Rellenos. A ripe Ancho has sweet tart flavors of berry, raisin, chocolate, smoke with a bit of heat in the mix. I know of no other pepper that has such a rich combination of flavors, although I'm sure there are some. If I was better cook I'd know what to do with it.

Daphne Gould said...

I hope you make your 300 mark. I'm set to have a good harvest total too, but I doubt it will be a record as 2012 was a pretty amazing year. I started planting a month early that year so the growing season was so much longer. But you never know. Like you I have a lot of poundage still out in the garden. I can't wait to dig up the sweet potatoes.

Margaret said...

Absolutely gorgeous peppers - love them - that name "Holy Mole" just made me laugh out loud! I'm adding those to my list. And the acorn squash - very cute! I hear the weather & watering can affect how hot a pepper gets - do you have any idea why your anchos are hotter this year?

Dave @ HappyAcres said...

I love the Anchos too. They take a long time to ripen in my garden but they are so tasty when dried. I also grind them up for chili powder. I think I am growing Ancho 211 this year. Holy Mole is another of my favorites.

Post a Comment