Pages

Monday, November 24, 2014

Monday November 24

There's one vegetable left to harvest - parsnips.  And this weekend, which was actually warmer than average, offered an opportunity to dig some up.  The midwest has been bearing the brunt of the polar vortex for about a week and the soil had frozen somewhat but this weekend it thawed out. 

In the same bed with the parsnip I planted four rows of spinach in mid-October for picking next spring.  The spinach did not get much of a start before the cold and snow hit but they should be fine.  I planted two rows of Bloomsdale and two rows of a Renee's variety called La Dolce Vita.  The Dolce Vita is a large leaf spinach which is very slow to germinate.  Much of it has not come up yet but the Bloomsdale is established well.

I want to put the plastic put tent greenhouse over the spinach but first some of the parsnip had to come out or go under the greenhouse.  The parsnip has been through a decent freeze and should be ready to harvest.  I pulled up about half of the parsnip, just the plants that would have been covered by the greenhouse.

It's only about 2 and 1/2 pounds, and the quality isn't very good.  Just not a good year for snips, I guess.  Cleaned up and peeled they will be roasted with a pork loin.

3 comments:

Daphne Gould said...

My parsnips weren't all that good either. But they were OK once peeled even if not prolific. I'll take what I can get.

Mark Willis said...

Don't want to brag TOO much, but my Parsnips are doing fine this year - very straight and clean so far. I put this down to the soil-preparation. They are in a bed with lots of sand in it, which seems to suit them well.

Margaret said...

I'll be interested to see how your spinach does - I was wondering what the timing would be for sowing them (i.e. how old the seedlings had to be) before winter struck. I didn't get around to planting any although I did purchase some seed for the very purpose of overwintering...I guess I will have to wait until next year.

Post a Comment