Pages

Monday, June 25, 2018

Cucumbers

Most of the summer crops are still in a holding pattern, but I did get cucumbers.  Last week I picked enough Vertina picklers to make a jar of refrigerator pickles.  There's enough volunteer dill in the beds, maybe too much, to make lots of pickles as long as the vines stay healthy.  I used fresh dill, including the flower, dill seeds, mustard seeds, coriander and peppercorns in a 50/50 mix of Bragg's vinegar and water, with some salt.  Refrigerator pickles are quick and easy, and they are always good and crunchy.

Later in the week I picked the first slicing cucumber, Swing.  This is the first time I've grown it, having grown Diva for years.  Like Diva, it's an all female cucumber, very robust and disease resistant.  It's got good flavor too, a winner for sure.  There happened to be a bottle of beer nearby and I set it next to the cuke for a size comparison.

Not shown are two small heads of Gonzalez cabbage, which were shredded for sauerkraut.  It's been bubbling away for almost a week and appears to be about ready.  This may be my first successful fermentation, keeping my fingers crossed.  To see what other people are growing, head on over to Our Happy Acres and check it out.

7 comments:

Eight Gate Farm NH said...

Nice cukes! Like you I've grown Diva, so it's good to know there's another variety out there that matches it in taste and may be sturdier. But wheat beer...really?

Margaret said...

Oh, I can't wait for those first cucumbers! Mine are just starting to run, so hopefully I won't be waiting too much longer.

joy said...

Cucumbers seem to be appearing in all of our posts today. I love the idea of fridge pickles and might try some myself.

Michelle said...

Still dreaming of cucumbers from the garden here, the plants aren't even big enough to reach the bottom of the trellis. Your refrigerator pickles sound like they are pretty darned tasty!

Phuong said...

I've never grown all female varieties, they sound like they do really well. Cucumbers from the garden are so much better than a person can buy, they seem firmer and less watery.

Kathy said...

We grew Divas last year and they kept us in cucumbers for months, so I hope yours do the same> Fridge pickles are excellent, and lucky they are so quick to make as they don't last long here either

Dave @ HappyAcres said...

Refrigerator pickles are a favorite here, and so easy to make like you say. Sounds like you have the sauerkraut figured out, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you too!

Post a Comment