Pages

Monday, May 22, 2017

Monday May 22 - First broccoli

Yes I picked the first head of broccoli from the brassica bed yesterday.  First I got a shot of the head on the plant.

This is Green Magic broccoli, very early and forms nice solid heads.  I was dreaming of a one pound head, but it weighed in at nine ounces.  I'll take it.

Also harvested were two Grand Duke kohlrabis.  This one weighed a pound, the other (not shown) was 3/4 pound.  There are many ways to prepare kohlrabi, I've even made a decent soup with it, but I like it best chilled and raw, dipped in some salad dressing or yogurt.

Some of the bunching onions were pulled up to make room for an okra plant.  I'm not really sure how to use these.  This bunch was washed and set in a container of water in the refrigerator.  I like them for a snack.

They say you should pick off any strawberry blossoms the first year so the plants can develop.  But strawberries grow like weeds and I'm not going to wait a year.

The plants have been producing a few berries every day and I wanted to try them.  Earliglow is supposed to be a great tasting June strawberry, and I had to find out if it was true.  They really are delicious, tasting like 'wild' strawberries.

I also picked half a pound of overwintered lettuce and 6 ounces of asparagus.  I don't plan on picking any more this year.  To see what other gardeners are harvesting, head on over to Our Happy Acres.

5 comments:

Dave @ HappyAcres said...

I'm with you on the broccoli, 9 oz would work for me too! I'm also a fan of raw kohlrabi. Ours is almost ready to begin harvesting.

Margaret said...

Wow - broccoli already. Mine were just transplanted a couple of weeks ago and they are still tiny. Everything is growing at a snails pace this spring with the cool weather - at this rate, I may not harvest any broccoli until late-summer.

Eight Gate Farm NH said...

Really nice broccoli. Like Margaret's, mine are just limping along. The bunching onions can be used like scallions, can't they--if they're not the same thing? Many uses for them! Hey wait, June strawberries in May??

~TastyTravels~ said...

Congrats on your first broccoli. Looks delish! Love your strawberry planter! Cute!!

Phuong said...

Your broccoli looks amazing. And that's a lot of bunching onions, I use them in place of onion in stir fries and soups although they don't need to cook as long.

Post a Comment